THE 9th EDITION- ANNOUNCEMENT OF COMPETITION
CLOSING DATE FOR THE NINTH EDITION: 10 JUNE 2022
JACKPOT: 25.000 €
WHO WE ARE
The City of Como Literary Award is free, autonomous, independently and recognizes equal dignity to all participants, ensuring total impartiality od judgment. The award operates nationally and internationally. The Award aims to promote, through events, courses and presentations of books and authors, who have participated in the competition, interest in culture and literature in particular. And it does so by paying close attention to events or initiatives that can favor cultural tourism in its many aspects.
IT IS POSSIBLE TO REGISTER, IN ANY SECTION, BY SIMPLE SENDING TO THE ADDRESS: INFO@PREMIOCITTADICOMO.IT
The sending by registered mail is not recommended and does not guarantee withdrawal. Participants will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of their paper. At the end of the competition all the names in the list will be published and time will be left to report and then correct any omissions and typos.
To facilitate the work of the City of Como Award Jury and the reading board, we highly recommended you to send the works well in advance of the date of deadline (30 june, 2022).
- POETRY (section dedicated to Alda Merini): This section includes published works on a freely chosen subject (including particular genres such as the epigram and the novel in verse).
- NARRATIVE (section dedicated to Giuseppe Pontiggia): This section includes works published in prose on a freely chosen subject of all kinds: novels, collection of short stories, fairy tales, memorial texts, biographies, books for children and young people, texts for the theater, cinematographic subjects, aphorisms (special prizes are available for genre fiction). A brief synopsis of the work and a brief biographical and bibliographical note of the author are required.
- NON-FICTION: Published works of non-fiction, of a scientific or popular nature, on any subject, without limits of scope of discussion, participate in this section. A brief synopsis of the work and a brief biographical and bibliographical note of the author are required.
- This section includes works that have never been published, neither in paper nor digital. Brief biographical notes of the author are required for fiction and non-fiction works.
- Works of poetry: a collection of poems in verse by a single author (minimum five, maximum fifty) or an anthology of several authors.
- Works of fiction of all kinds: novels, collection of short stories, fairy tales, memorial works, biographies, books for children and young people, theatrical texts, aphorisms, film subjects. A brief synopsis of the work is required.
- Non-fiction works, of a scientific or popular nature, on any subject with no limits of treatment. A brief synopsis of the work is required.
This section includes multimedia works, both published and unpublished in the following categorieS:
- “They tell”: a literary text (in prose or poetry, published or unpublished, by any author), a landscape or a journey told through images and / or text and / or music.
- “Facial expressions”: faces and emotions (of one or more subjects) expressed through images and/or text and/or music.
- “Book trailer”: short-term audiovisual to promote published or unpublished publications.
- “Photo reportage” of any kind
- “The environment and nature”
- “Audio books”
- “Your animal friend”
- “Videopoesia” published or unpublished
Prose narration both published and unpublished in which the author recalls facts or periods considered important in his life. Using writing, the author becomes aware of himself through memories and a personal path of analysis and introspection. He becomes the protagonist of the narrated events and, recalling them, elaborates personal reflections that enrich the experience.
For the best published or unpublished work – of poetry, fiction, multimedia or non-fiction art – that is inspired by the theme of the work in all its components. Intellectual and manual work, hard work and youth work. Work in different parts of the world and the hardship caused by lack of employment. How to make work more and more capable of creating dignity and well-being for people. The drama of fatal accidents at work and the boss.
WORKS FROM ABROAD
Culture has no boundaries: the competition aims to open more and more to international authors and for this will award a work published or unpublished that meets the criteria of the sections “Poetry”, “Narrative”, “Non-fiction”, “Autobiographical work” and “First work” from a European state or from abroad in general. In particular, a reading committee composed of qualified members of the House of Literature of Lugano, will judge the works of NARRATIVE PUBLISHER from Switzerland.
The competition will award the “First work” prize to the best EDIT debut text in the sections “Poetry”, “Narrative”, “Non-fiction” and “Autobiographical Work“. The registration form must be specified by the author, under his responsibility, if it is a work before. The Opera prima section is separate and excludes participation in other sections unless you decide to participate at the same time in another section in the competition, paying an additional fee.
IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY
Writing in its various forms and art in general often bring out the best and deepest aspects of personality. We trust the imagination by proposing a recognition to the best short script, condensed into a few pages (no more than 6.000 bars) that can describe an idea to ennoble the life of the person and create a better society. A contest of realism and imagination to blend into an ideal synthesis of creativity and concreteness. The GDP as an indicator of well-being interpreted not only as a factor of economic growth but as a set of factors that contribute to increase individual and collective happiness.
PRESENTATION OF THE DOCUMENTS
Participation in the Prize takes place through the presentation of the papers.
- For the works published in paper format: please send n.2 copies of the printed volume.
- For the works published in electronic format: please send by email, e-book preferably in PDF format.
- For the works unpublishing in paper format: please send n.2 copies in format A4, in black and white or in colours.
- For the works unpublishing in electronic format: please send by email in a single file preferably in PDF format.
- For works made as digital photographic sequences: please send the sequence – consisting of a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 20 images, progressively numbered, in JPG. Format, maximum weight 2MB each – for email (for submissions of more that 5MB, WeTransfer mode or similar): for the reportage a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 50 images.
- For the works made as video: send a video – made in a single file, in format Wav-Avi-Mp4-Mov maximum duration of 15 minutes – for email (with WeTransfer mode or similar). The videos received will be inserted on the YouTube channel of the Award. All audio-video processing will be allowed if the compliance with YouTube regulations. By sending you authorize the publication of the video on the website premiocittadicomo.it and on the social networks of reference.
The participation (authors and publishing houses) can compete in one or more sections of the Award, without limitation. Each participation requires a separate registration. The publishing houses competes by granting permission for the participation of the author of the text. Publishing houses are recommended to equip the work that will be the winner of the Prize for the sections dedicated to publishers with a suitable band. Works already awarded in other competitions can participate.
SENDING OF PAPER DOCUMENTS
The elaborated in paper format should be send by email – in the manner described in “Presentation of the paper” – together with the registration form (ENTRY FORM downloadable and fillable from the site) and certification (photocopy of the receipt) and the payment of the participation fee (look “Participation fee”) to: C.P. n°260 c/o Central Post Office, via Gallio, 6 – 22100 Como or Associazione Eleutheria, via Oriani, 8 – 22100 Como (for the Switzerland: General Delivery 6830 – Chiasso 1).
SENDING THE ELABORATED IN DIGITAL FORM:
The elaborated in digital form they may also be send -according to the procedure indicated at the point of “Presentation of the documents” – by email together with registration form (ENTRY FORM downloadable and fillable from the site) and certification (scan the receipt in PDF format) and the payment of the participation fee (look “Participation fee”) to the address:
- For published and unpublished literary sections: email@example.com
- For multimedia sections (sequences of images and video): firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTICE: For organizational reasons – both for sending in paper form and for sending in digital form – the registration form (or an equivalent written text), the work in competition and the certification of the payment of the participation fee must arrive together and simultaneously. Entries sent without the registration form and without the certification of payment of the participation fee will not be admitted to the competition.
The participation fee – for all participants, authors and publishing houses – is 25 euros (each participant requires a separate fee).
People in detention are exempted from paying the participation fee.
The payment can be paid:
- By cheque or cash at the Award Office (don’t put in the bag);
- By deposit to postal account n° 1016359752 registered to Associazione Eleutheria;
- By bank transfer: BPS-IBAN: IT72M05696109010000091X44 – BIC/SWIFT: POSOIT22 Filiale: 073 Como-ag. 1 registered to Associazione Eleutheria.
DESTINATION OF THE WORKS
At the end of competition, the documents will not be returned. The published works can be donated to libraries of the territory. The unpublished works will be destroyed for Copyright protection.
NOMINATIONS AND WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT AND AWARDS CEREMONY
The works received by the closing date of the call (see “Call deadline”) will be examined: after an initial phase of analysis we will choose a shortlist of selected. In the shortlist of selected, will be chosen a finalists that will be notified by the secretariat of the Award with special press release. Among the finalists will finally be chosen the winners. The lists of a shortlist of selected and later, the lists of finalists will be made known through publication on the site of the Award. The final ceremony will take place, presumably in the month of October or November 2022 in Como, in a prestigious venue and will be open the public with free admission (compatible with the health rules then in force). All the information of the date and the hour of the ceremony will be consulted on the website and will be communicated well in advance. The winners will be proclaimed at the ceremony and will be required to participate for the collection of prizes. The cash prizes not collected personally during the ceremony will be available at the disposal of the Award for the next edition. The cost of transfer and stay for the presence of the finally ceremony shall be charged to the individual participants. The Award has however stipulated special agreements with hotels for overnight stays at special prices (information at Secretariat or on the site of the Award).
PUBLISHING AGREEMENTS, CONSULTING
The Association reserves the right to conclude representation and editorial consulting agreements with the authors of the unpublishing work deemed most worthy of publication. For authors who participate in the sections reserved for unpublished texts who request it through a special form attached to the registration form, will be completed an evaluation sheet of the work submitted in competition in order to highlight merits and any limitations of writing style, content and plot. Will complete the suggestions for possible editing and evaluation of the potential of the work. The card may be, at the author’s request, accompanied by an interview with the Editor who wrote it on behalf of Association Eleutheria.
To access this service, to the fee to the Award will be added the sum of 70 Euro (Seventy VAT included). If the text to be evaluated in more than 60.000 words, the cost will be 90 Euro (Ninety VAT included) more registration for the Award of 25 euros. The evaluation form will be sent by email to those who have requested it by the date for the Award ceremony. The card will be written by an evaluation committee formed by editors and communication professionals already operating in the organization of the Award. The participation in the competition must be formalized by the date for expiry pf the notice. Call again the invitation not to wait the last days for sending the texts. The Secretariat of the Award, at the end of the call, remains available for a 15 days for any warnings, omissions, typos or reports.
NOTICE: Beyond this period will not be considered any request regarding the works of the competition. At the end of the call will be published on the site of the prize lists of participants in the competition. The participation in the Award implies acceptance of these rules as a writing partner. Pursuant lo legislative decree of 30 June 2003, n.196 “code on the protection of personal information” and GDPR (regulation UE 2016/679) the participants consent to the processing dissemination and use of personal date by the organization or by third parties for the performance of the tasks related to the competition. The participants declare that they are the authors of their works. Participation in the competition automatically involves the authors granting the promoter the right to reproduce on catalogues and other publications that are intended to publicize the event and the places where set the image, non-profit. Under Resolution n. 8/1251 of 28/10/1976 the Award will not be subject to withholding tax. It is therefore the responsibility of the Award recipient to understand the value of the recognition and the total sums for that purpose obtained in its annual declaration at the end of the determination of income. In the case of minors, the signature of a parent or guardian of parental authority will be required on the participation card. All sensitive data received by those participating in the Award will be processed in compliance with legislative Decree 30/06/2003 n.196 (code on the protection of personal date, also know as “single text on Privacy”) and use exclusively for the purposes of the Award itself. At any time the participants can exercise the rights provided by request addressed to the Association Eleutheria as data controller.
COMPETITORS, BY SIGNING THE REGISTRATION FORM, ACCEPT ALL THE CONDITIONS OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT OF COMPETITION AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE AUTHENTICY OF THE SUBMITTED WORK.
PUBLISHED BOOK OF POETRY
First € 2.000
PUBLISHED BOOK OF NARRATIVE:
First € 2.000
Special prizes for genres:
Historical novel € 500
Adventure or travel novel € 500
Mystery or thriller or horror novel € 500
Biography € 500
Published book of genre theatrical € 500
Aphorisms published € 500
Fantasy € 500
Humorous € 500
BOOK PUBLISHED FOR KIDS:
First of narrative € 500
First of non-fiction € 500
PUBLISHED BOOK OF NON-FICTION:
First € 2.000
Special prizes for genres:
History € 500
Popular science € 500
Investigative book € 500
Travel theme € 500
Health and well-being € 500
Journalism € 500
The unpublished text that will be the winner – whether novel or story collection, for adults or children or guys – it will be published by the Francesco Brioschi Publisher of Milan with the author’s consent and after careful editing in order to improve the text structure in necessary. Other unpublished deemed worthy of attention mat be published. The Secretariat of the Award must be promptly notified if the author of an unpublished text sent for participation reach publishing agreements in the period of competition. At the Award date the winning works, penalty the exclusion, must be unpublished and released from any rights of third parties.
For other unpublished (non-fiction, aphorism, theatrical works, cinematographic subject, fable, works for kids and guys, novel or collection of stories) one chosen by the Jury among the various genres, the prize will be € 500
FIRST € 1.000
SINGLE STORY SECTION PUBLISHED OR UNPUBLISHED
FIRST € 1.000
Best story that has the lake, in any geographical or symbolic sense as a protagonist: € 500 (250+250 € left in the competition by the winner of the last edition)
Degree theses in specific fields: cultural mediation, cultural heritage and tourism, landscape aspects, scientific themes
FIRST € 1.500
second classified € 1.000
third classified € 500
FIRST WORK (identified at the discretion of the Jury among all the works in competition in the various sections)
FIRST € 1.000
PUBLISHED OR UNPUBLISHED WORK IN ITALIAN FROM ABROAD
FIRST € 1.000
FIRST € 1.000
FIRST € 1.000
IMAGINATION AND CREATIVITY
FIRST € 1000
TOP WORK or lifetime achievement award
The Jury can recognize, among all the works in competition, a single text in any section that for the quality of writing and originality of the contests is distinguished from all the others. This work will be assigned a particular acknowledge that prestige and value will have a great symbolic meaning. All other prizes in the various sections will remain unchanged.
SPECIAL PRIZES SPONSORED BY COMPANIES, BODIES, ASSOCIATIONS, INSTITUTIONS
Public and private bodies, companies and associations can sponsor an award indicating a theme of their choice and specifying the nature of the work presented: novel, story (with limit of bars), poetry, essay and multimedia. The sponsor has the right to participate with a delegate to the specific jury of the prize sponsored. Minimum prize up for grabs, paid by the sponsor: € 1.000.
Sponsors and themes will be indicated in the remainder of the competition.
Award and Jury will be able to:
- Confer recognition with diplomas and plaques, special prizes of the Jury and assign other cash prizes or equivalent to finalists in the various sections or to unpublished novel, assign further cash prizes if publication is not possible in the manner indicated in the notice. Assign other cash prizes to the second and third classified in the various section.
- Assign special prizes to finalists of compositions writer by prisoners with fee participation.
- Assign premium stays in renowned hotels in the area listed on the Award site.
- Don’t award the prize in the absence of worthy works in a specific section.
Presidente Andrea Vitali
Scientist and writer
Critic and journalist, already responsible for the cultural pages of the “Corriere della Sera” newspaper
Milo De Angelis
Poet and critic
Journalist and writer
Journalist of “Corriere della Sera” newspaper and University Professor
Writer, translator and Professor of the University of Insubria
Responsible for cultural pages of “La Provincia” newspaper
THE DELIBERATIONS OF THE JURY ARE UNQUESTIONABLE AND UNAPPEALABLE
READING BOARD (the list of names is always updated on the site)
- Carla Affaticati
- Giorgio Albonico
- Greta Albonico
- Marco Albonico
- Daniela Baratta
- Lara Bernasconi
- Fiorella Bianchi
- Mafalda Bianchi
- Paola Boracchi
- Virna Castiglioni
- Marielina Confalonieri
- Pietro Desiderato
- Anna Falezza
- Anna Maroni
- Tiziana Mattedi
- Sergio Mestrinaro
- Ennio Monticelli
- Lorenzo Morandotti
- Linda Pedraglio
- Patrizia Ravanelli
- Silvia Serra
- Katia Trinca
- Federico Viganò
STUDENTS OF LICEO VOLTA
Teacher of reference: Prof. Marina Doria: project coordinator of “Really read”
BIBLIOTECA COMUNALE DI CASTELCOVATI DI BRESCIA:
- Andoli Angela
- Bonfadini Albertina
- Carissoli Antonella
- Festa Alessia
- Galli Moira
- Guerini Katia
- Minelli Giulia
- Pedrotti Carla
- Salvoni Nicole
- Secchi Annalisa
“LIBRIAMO“- Biblioteca di Lurago D’Erba ?
- Bonetti Aurelio
- Fanara Patrizia
- Gingardi Doriana
- Pasini Marco
- Pasini Sesyl
- Pesenti Anna
- Radice Grazia
- Riva Laura
- Travaini Pierina
- Viganò Nicoletta
“BLiLeCo – LIbere LEtture COndivise in Biblioteca” – Biblioteca Comune di Cermenate:
- Alberio Mariangela
- Bigelli Ilaria
- Libera Silvana
- Mittiga Stefania
- Monti Barbara
- Opsi Angela
- Radice Maria Teresa
- Rampoldi Laura
Biblioteca Civica “F. Maraspin” – Comune di Cusano Milanino (Mi):
- Cazzani Laura
- Mancarella Valeria
- Manicardi Donatella
- Ricci Antonio
“Matti per la lettura” – Biblioteca di Olgiate Comasco:
- Carpene Barbara
- Danesi Giuliana
- De Agostini Mauro
- Stigliano Katia
- Taiana Paola
BIBLIOTECA DI BORMIO
CULTura e futuro/Circolo Auser di Caserta:
- Barra Rosa
- Cocchis Roberto
- Mastrangelo Emilia
- Parente Anna
“Lettori di strada” – Torino:
- Accornero Luciana
- Audenino Fiorenza
- Bardaro Gabriella
- Bottega Maurizio
- Canale Patrizia
- Mantovani Serena
- Martino Darica
- Mercuri Gabriella
- Mormile Edwige
- Mosso Monica
- Mulè Chiara
- Rutigliano Antonella
- Sartorello Marilisa
- Sesia Pietro
- Severini Assunta
- Verza Patrizia
LIBRERIA TORRIANI CANZO
- Massimo Autieri
CASA DELLA LETTERATURA LUGANO
Creator and organizer of the City of Como Award:
Giorgio Albonico – Giorgio.email@example.com
For information: Organizing Secretary Greta Albonico – Daniela Baratta firstname.lastname@example.org
Via Oriani 8 – Como
Telephone: +39 031 241392
Mobiles: + 39 340.9439256 + 39 329.3336183 + 39 334.5482855
OFFICE HOURS 9:00-12:00 15:00-17:30
Referent for writings from prison institutions: Avv. Marcello Iantorno
Graphic design and website design: Partners.co.it
Unpublished Section manager: Katia Trinca Colonel – Sig. ra Ferrari Adriana – Sig. ra Ornella Bramani – Dr.Giorgio Albonico